Monday, September 12, 2011

Baby Room Curtains

Well, Seth is already over 5 months old, but I finally finished the curtains for his room today. :) (My excuse is that he came 2 weeks early!!)
I kind of made them up on my own, but I used inspiration from Sallie's kitchen curtain and this random blog -- scroll down to find her curtains. :)







I found 3 colors of fabric that would go well with the "giraffe" themed room - all cottons. I took fabric #1 (the top section, green fabric) and cut 1 strip 16" tall. I used my rotary mat for this. (Tip: fold the fabric in half with selvedge edges matching to cut a shorter piece & then it fit on one mat!)















I hemmed the selvedge edges 1" on each side.








I folded it in half, right sides together, lengthwise and sewed the unfinished edges @ 1/3".












 
I turned the fabric right side out, ironed @ the seam & the fold, so the tube became a panel.
Then I sewed a seam 2" from the folded edge to create a space for the curtain rod.






With fabric #2 (brown/accent color), I cut a strip 4" tall, then folded it in half lengthwise and sewed the seam 1/4" from the edge to make a 1 3/4" wide strip.

I ironed it just as with the first piece. I also found that if i ironed the seam like with a quilt while it was inside out, it was easier to get the seam to lay right.

I sewed up both edges so that the strip was the same width as fabric #1.








 Then I took fabric #3 (yellow, bottom piece) and cut a strip 12.5" tall.I hemmed the selvedge edges so the strip is the same width as strips 1 & 2 - using a 5/8" seam.














I hemmed the bottom edge (folded it over 1/2" and sewed @ 3/8").






I sewed the top edge to the back side of strip #1 @ the seam with a 1/4" seam, then ironed it flat.
Then I made 2 strips just like #2 only cut the fabric in half so the strips were half the length. I sewed them on 8" from the middle of the curtain.

Then I sewed the long brown (#2) strip on top of the curtain. I placed it just above (about 1/8") the seam from before and topstitched it together.
























Now all we have to do is get my hubby to put up the curtain rods, and Seth will finally have his mommy-made curtains up!

No comments:

Post a Comment